As the world’s largest medical association of musculoskeletal specialists, the AAOS has a responsibility to advance the quality of orthopaedic care in a fully transparent and scientific way. In November 2019, we announced a strategic investment in the field of biologics.
Over the next five years, the AAOS will prioritize research and development for a biologics-focused competency within the Academy’s existing business. It comes at a crucial time when:
- Patients, surgeons and other healthcare specialists are navigating the field independently without reliable sources of information.
- Patients are receiving substandard care from non-orthopaedic providers, delay treatment or suffer adverse events.
- Orthopaedic surgeons are at competitive risk.
Our efforts will help separate fact from fiction by delivering evidence-based content specifically related to growth in biologics knowledge and its application to orthopaedic treatment and care. The AAOS is poised to play a leading role in steering orthopaedic biologics discovery and content for surgeons and patients around the world.
The AAOS will begin to address these issues in 2020 with a series of initiatives, including:
- Develop educational content (website, white papers)
- Symposia and evidence-based systematic reviews
- High quality evidence/technology reviews
- Delivery of investigator grants