Now Accepting Affiliated Professional Membership Applications for the Class of 2022.
Deadline to Apply: May 31, 2021
With an Affiliated Professional Allied Specialties or Basic Science membership, you will gain access to resources that will help you:
- Stay on the forefront of orthopaedic practice with JAAOS – the most authoritative, peer-reviewed journal covering leading-edge clinical advances
- Enjoy FREE ACCESS to more than 800 surgical technique videos on our Orthopaedic Video Theater (OVT)
- Learn at your convenience with FREE ACCESS to hundreds of new surgical techniques learning options and more than 50 AAOS clinical webinars annually
- Integrate the latest quality measures and improve performance with the Academy’s expanding selection of quality tool kits and other resources
- Contribute to and benefit from focused educational and self-assessment resources in all orthopaedic specialties, and share your expertise
- Benefit from allied health focused programming at the AAOS Annual Meeting and other live events
Application Period: October 1, 2020 through May 31, 2021
Application Fee: In order to process your application, you are required to pay a non-refundable application fee in the amount of $75 upon submission.
Membership Dues: 2021 Dues for Associate Member - Allied Specialty and Associate Member Basic Science is $187.
Membership Cycle: If accepted, your membership dues for the 2022 membership year is due January 1, 2022. AAOS will begin sending membership invoices in October 2021. Your AAOS membership runs on the calendar year, January 1 – December 31. Affiliated Professional membership is a continuous membership. Dues are automatically billed every October for the upcoming membership cycle.
Eligibility Requirements for Affiliated Professional – Allied Specialties: The status of Associate Member - Allied Specialties may be conferred upon distinguished physicians who are not orthopaedic surgeons who hold the degrees of M.D. or D.O. and whose activities, interests and contributions are related to orthopaedic surgery.
Eligibility Requirements for Affiliated Professional – Basic Science: The status of Associate Member – Basic Science may be conferred upon an individual holding a doctorate degree or its equivalent who is engaged in the full-time research of basic science related to orthopaedic surgery and who has demonstrated achievement in research and education related to orthopaedic surgery.
- Completion and submission of the Affiliated Professional application and accompanying documentation during the recruitment period.
- All applications are reviewed by the Membership Council and Affiliated Member status is considered pending until final approval by the AAOS Board of Directors.
- Applicants are approved and accepted as a “class” each year in October. The full application process can take between 10 and 12 months.
- We strongly suggest having approximately 60 minutes without interruptions to complete your application. If you are unable to complete the application in one sitting, you will need to keep your browser session open to return to the form and continue.
- Before you begin your application have the following information and documents available:
- Sponsor Letters of Recommendation (3 are required and each sponsor must be an AAOS Active Fellow Member)
- Certification and Practice Information
- Medical Education, Residency, and Fellowship Information
- Hospital and Teaching Affiliation(s)
- License(s) and Practice History
- Medical Society Memberships
- Curriculum Vitae (PDF to upload)
If you have any questions, contact our Customer and Member Services Team or call 1.800.626.6726.