Resident Curriculum Contest Rules
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
Contest to Name the Resident Curriculum
The Contest to Name the Resident Curriculum (the “Contest”) allows Entrants from Eligible Institutions to submit ideas for a new name for the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (“AAOS”) Residency Curriculum. Please read the following Contest Rules (the “Rules”) in their entirety before entering the Contest. Entrants/Eligible Institutions should not enter the Contest unless they agree to these Rules.
- No purchase necessary to enter the Contest.
- Eligibility: To be eligible to win and receive the Prize identified in section 8, Entrants must enter a proposed name for the AAOS Residency Curriculum (an “Entry”) on behalf of an ACGME accredited institution/program in the United States (“Eligible Institutions”). The Prize (as defined herein) will be presented to an Eligible Institution, not individuals. Employees of AAOS and their immediate family members, or anyone with whom they are domiciled are not eligible to win and receive a prize. The Contest is void where prohibited by law and is subject to all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Any Entries that are prohibited by any applicable federal, state or local laws or regulations are null and void. It is the responsibility of the Entrant to determine whether participation in the Contest is permitted under the laws applicable in the Entrant's/Eligible Institution’s place of residence. Entrants must be 18 years or older (or the age of majority in the Entrant’s state of residency) to submit an Entry.
- Entry Period: The Contest commences on Monday, February 22, 2021 at 12:00 PM (Central) and ends Monday, March 15, 2021 at 12:00PM (Central).
- How to Enter: To enter the Contest, Entrants must complete the form found online. There is no limit on the number of Entries from Eligible Institutions.
- Proposed Name Guidelines: The proposed name must be original and may not infringe any third party's rights. Entries may not contain or be confusingly similar to any third-party brand, trademark, service mark, or product, as determined by AAOS in its sole discretion. Entries may not be inappropriate, indecent, obscene or otherwise inconsistent with the image of AAOS, as determined by AAOS in its sole discretion.
- Intellectual Property: By entering the Contest, Entrants, Eligible Institutions, and winner (by accepting the Prize), agree to irrevocably assign and transfer to AAOS all rights, title and interest in the proposed name throughout the world, including, without limitation, all trademark rights, and agree to execute any additional documents AAOS may deem necessary to evidence or effectuate such assignment. AAOS’s rights with respect to the name submitted include, but are not limited to: (a) the exclusive right to use, publish, display or reproduce the name for purposes of trade and advertising and/or any other lawful purpose; (b) the exclusive right to alter, revise or change the name in any way; (c) the exclusive right to secure trademark and copyright registrations for the name and other rights in the entry anywhere throughout the world; (d) the exclusive right to license, exploit, sell, assign, or otherwise dispose of the name or any of the said rights included therein for any purpose which AAOS may see fit; and (e) any and all subsidiary rights in the name.
Entrants represent and warrant that their Entries: (a) are wholly original, (b) will not infringe on any third party’s personal or property rights, and that AAOS’s use will not result in third party liability or obligations, and (c) are not the subject of any threatened or pending litigation. Entrants further represent and warrant that they have obtained all permissions, licenses and consents that are necessary for the submission and use of the Entry, and to verify compliance with the foregoing requirements. Entrants agree to provide to AAOS at AAOS’s request copies of all such permissions, licenses and consents.
- Winner Selection, Judging Criteria, and Winner Notification: Entries will be judged by a panel of AAOS staff and Curriculum Directors, in their sole discretion, will determine the winning Entry. Entrants understand and agree that, if selected as the winner, their Eligible Institution will be acknowledged as such during the AAOS 2022 Annual Meeting, and that Eligible Institution’s name may be used in promotions regarding the AAOS 2022 Annual Meeting, the Resident Curriculum, and for any other purpose reasonably related to this Contest as determined by AAOS.
Entries will be judged based on the following equally applied criteria: creativity, accuracy of description, marketability, and communication of AAOS’s brand. In the event that the exact same winning name was submitted by more than one Entrant, the Eligible Institution that submitted the winning name first will be awarded the Prize. The potential winning name must be legally cleared through a comprehensive trademark clearance process; if the potential winning name cannot be legally cleared through this clearance process, an alternate winner will be selected.
Judging will take place on March 22. The potential winner will be notified by phone, mail and/or e-mail within 72 hours of judging. In the event that the potential winner does not comply with these Rules, or cannot be contacted within 72 hours of being notified, that selection shall be void with no further obligation to that potential winner, and an alternate Entry may be selected from the remaining Entries.
- Prize: The Prize to be awarded in this Contest is a trip to the AAOS 2022 Annual Meeting for up to ten (10) residents from the Eligible Institution, with the following eligible expenses paid: (1) Airfare to and from the AAOS 2022 Annual Meeting; (2) Hotel for the duration of the AAOS 2022 Annual Meeting (rooms will be double occupancy); (3) Registration Fees for the AAOS 2022 Annual Meeting; and (4) $50 meal reimbursement per day (the “Prize”). AAOS will make all arrangements associated with the Prize. No cash substitutions or equivalents for the Prize will be permitted, and the Prize may not be transferred, except at sole discretion of AAOS. However, AAOS reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value in the event that the Prize becomes unavailable (e.g. in the event the AAOS 2022 Annual Meeting is postponed or canceled).
- No Obligation to Use: AAOS shall have no obligation (express or implied) to use any or to otherwise exploit any Entry or, if commenced, to continue the distribution or exploitation thereof, and AAOS may at any time abandon the use of the Entry for any reason, with or without legal justification or excuse, and Entrants shall not be entitled to any damages or other relief by reason thereof.
- Dates & Deadlines/Anticipated Number of Contestants: AAOS reserves the right, in addition to those other rights reserved herein, to modify any date(s) or deadline(s) set forth in these Rules or otherwise governing the Contest. AAOS cannot accurately predict the number of Entrants who will participate in the Contest.
- Name of Contest Winner/Official Rules Requests. For the name of the winner or a copy of these Rules, please contact email@example.com.
- Release: By participating in the Contest, Entrants and Eligible Institutions agree to release, discharge, indemnify and hold harmless AAOS and its directors, officers, employees, agents, successors and assigns (“Released Parties”) from and against any and all claims, liability, costs (including attorneys’ fees), losses, damages, fines or injuries of any kind arising out of or related to: (i) participation in the Contest; (ii) any acceptance, possession, misuse or use of the Prize (including, without limitation, losses, damages or injuries to Entrant’s or any other person’s equipment or other property, or to their persons, including those arising from any travel to/from any Prize event or activity); (iii) the Released Parties’ violation of rights of publicity or privacy, claims of defamation or portrayal in a false light or based on any claim of infringement of intellectual property; and (iv) any typographical, human or other error in the printing, offering, selection, operation or announcement of any Contest activity and/or prize.
- Publicity Authorization. Subject to applicable law, Entrants and Eligible Institutions hereby agree that their names and Entries can be used, without compensation, for advertising, promotional and/or publicity purposes in connection with the Contest, in all forms of media and by any and all means and media (now and hereafter known), and on and in connection with related products, services, advertising and promotional materials (now known or hereafter developed), worldwide, in perpetuity, without any obligation, or notice.
- Miscellaneous. By entering the Contest, Entrants and Eligible Institutions agree to be bound by these rules and the decisions of AAOS, which are final on all matters relating to the Contest. AAOS, in its sole discretion, may disqualify any Entrant or Eligible Institutions that is found to have tampered in any way with the operation of the Contest. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Rules will not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any provision of the Rules is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, the other provisions will remain in effect and will be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained herein. AAOS’s failure to enforce any term of these Rules will not constitute a waiver of that provision. The Contest is governed by the laws of the State of Illinois, to the extent permitted by law.
For questions, comments or assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org