Health and Safety Resources
Your safety is our priority. We are working diligently with our partners and vendors to ensure the necessary safety measures are in place. We are committed to creating a safe and healthy environment for all our attendees, exhibitors, and team members.
AAOS is following best practices recommended by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and will abide by the legal mandates from the state of California at the time of the meeting. The health and safety measures available here will be updated as planning for the AAOS 2021 Annual Meeting continues.
Statement - Indoor California Gatherings
The AAOS is encouraged by recent news from California health officials which allows the resumption of indoor activities this month. We continue to plan for and look forward to hosting an in-person event at the San Diego Conference Center and will release more information about our attendance policies once the convention center and the State of California provide us with more guidance. In the meantime, additional details about our physical distancing plans and mask requirements can be found (here) on the AAOS Annual Meeting Health and Safety Resources page.
(April 7, 2021)
Statement - San Diego Convention Center Use
Together with the San Diego Convention Center (SDCC), the AAOS looks forward to seeing you in San Diego. While SDCC has served the community in multiple capacities over the past few months and continues to step up to support temporary humanitarian efforts at the request of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, it remains steadfast in its preparations to welcome AAOS members and the entire musculoskeletal community.
From August 31 through September 3, SDCC will transform into an orthopaedic hub for four days of education, innovation and collaboration. As we plan to reunite for the first time in nearly two years, the health and safety of AAOS Annual Meeting attendees remains at the core of both the Academy’s and SDCC’s mission with protocols and plans in place to exceed industry best practices.
We look forward to gathering in person in the spirit of fellowship, learning and camaraderie! Member registration opens April 14.
(April 1, 2021)
About the Venue
From air circulation to cleaning protocols to guest services, the team at the San Diego Convention Center (SDCC) has been working tirelessly to ensure that they exceed best practices. SDCC is one of the first convention centers in the United States to achieve the Global Biorisk Advisory Council (GBAC) STAR facility accreditation. Under the guidance of the GBAC, the center has a program of stringent protocols for cleaning, disinfection and infectious disease prevention. This includes air quality that is optimized by HVAC systems that carefully manage the appropriate amount of indoor air circulation and proper outside makeup air.
Planning for Change
While much has changed in the world around us, what has not changed is AAOS’ commitment to the health and safety of our members, exhibitors, and industry partners. Here’s what we’re doing at-a-glance for a handshake-free meeting to protect your health and peace of mind so you can focus on getting down to business.
- Masks: To attend the meeting in person, attendees and exhibitors are required to wear masks while inside the San Diego Convention Center and on provided transportation such as shuttle busses. If you cannot wear a mask, for medical reasons, you will be required to wear a face shield in lieu of a mask.
- Physical Distancing: Event attendees should expect physical distancing in high traffic areas, session rooms, exhibit floor, and throughout the event space in accordance with local and venue regulations.
- Cleaning: Hand sanitizer stations will be available throughout the event. All high-touch areas will be placed on a visible continual cleaning and disinfecting routine during event hours and overnight.
- Exhibit Hall: AAOS will apply crowd density standards, in accordance with local and state authorities’ guidance, to control the density of the show floor and community gathering spaces and allow for appropriate physical distancing.
- Food and Beverage: Food and beverage will be provided in a no-contact way.